Manufacturing Engineering Manager
About the GMI environment
- GMI is a well established contract manufacturer established in 1983
- Team and family oriented philosophy throughout
- Plenty of on-site amenities and special events
- Work hard play hard mentality
Under the general supervision of the President, the Manufacturing Engineering Manager plans and coordinates the activities of the Manufacturing Engineering Team to manage customer assemblies (both prototypes and production). These activities include developing and reviewing build instructions, creating maintenance/service plans, developing tooling, manufacturing jigs & test fixtures to support efficient manufacturing operations. This is a leadership role that has customer and vendor facing requirements needed to ensure the success of new and existing business. It also requires effective cross functional collaboration and project management with a hands-on approach.
- Supervises Manufacturing Engineering Team activities, ensuring all work is performed accurately and according to quality and safety standards required for each project.
- Provides hands on assistance and direction on projects.
- Design, assemble and implement test fixtures, manufacturing jigs and build instructions for customer projects.
- Collaborates with other Managers & Directors to set priorities on projects and report out on progress, workload and DFM status.
- Assesses cost effectiveness and feasibility of manufacturing processes; makes and implements recommendations to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Assesses NRE, labor hours and manufacturability costs associated with New Business quotes.
- Closely work with Quality team on procedures, certifications, validation and compliance.
- Assists the Service team with programs, activities, and responsibilities of repair and warranty of customer programs.
- Coordinate with China division for Engineering structure, processes and support.
- Understands internal design control software (Arena) and ERP software system (NetSuite).
- Prepares and implements the departmental budget.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains new staff in the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Skills / Abilities:
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Thorough understanding of either manufacturing engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and/or significant broad technical manufacturing process expertise.
- Ability to multitask and effectively prioritize personal action items as well as the teams.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software to prepare budgets and records.
- Requires good oral and written communication skills to interact professionally and courteously.
- Must have the ability to read and understand written English.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in either Electrical, Mechanical, Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering field, required.
- At least five years of supervisory experience preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements and working conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The phrases “occasionally,” “regularly,” and “frequently” correspond to the following definitions: “Occasionally” means up to 1/3 of working time, “regularly” means between 1/3 and 2/3 of working time, and “frequently” means 2/3 and more working time.
While performing the duties and responsibilities of this position, the Associate is frequently required to use a computer, telephone and other similar technology. The Associate will regularly talk and listen. H/she will frequently sit, walk and move from place to place. Occasionally travel by car or airplane including international travel. Specific vision requirements for this position include close vision, color vision and depth perception. Occasionally lift and carry short distances up to 50 pounds. This position is factory based, in Mequon, WI.
The Cherries on Top:
GMI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes:
- Compensation with Annual Profit Sharing
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance, Long and Short term Disability, and AFLAC
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, plus 2 personal days annually
- Generous Employee Referral program
- Corporate sponsored Luncheons and Happy Hours
- Company Events, Competitions and Group Volunteer Opportunities
We’re a medium size, family-oriented company that values our associates and are looking for your help to make a difference to the company’s overall success.
If this sounds interesting, we want to hear from you!
If you have questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org