Sales Engineer – NPD Quoting & Launch
About our environment
- GMI Solutions is a well established contract manufacturer founded in 1983
- MūL Technologies is a robotic automation company
- Team and family oriented philosophy throughout
- Plenty of on-site amenities and special events
Under supervision of the Director of Business Development, assume responsibility for technical and quoting interactions with new and existing customers who are looking for GMI’s manufacturing and engineering services for their complex end products. The Sales Engineer – NPD Quoting & Launch (aka Sales Engineer) will closely collaborate with our Business Development, Technical Project Manager, Engineering and Sourcing teams in quoting and launching new production programs. There will be heavy customer interaction from the initial introduction, focus on technical review, quoting, and eventual hand-off from prototype to manufacturing release.
You will be responsible for assessing the technical aspects of a new program and evaluating input and recommendations on materials, manufacturing process, components, production, testing, regulatory compliance, and other outsourcing needs of the customers. You will also lead and drive the quotation process for the project. You will have access to resources in Manufacturing Engineering and Sourcing to support your efforts.
Working with the Business Development and Technical Project Manager teams will include presenting material recommendations, manufacturing processes and services to key decision makers and C-level executives. Some travel will be required for new customer introductions and development of ongoing relationships with key technical contacts.
Essentials Duties and Responsibilities:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary to meet the needs of the organization from time to time.
- Primary technical lead on programs from initial customer engagement through production release.
- Primary lead on setting up quote and executing quoting activity for new projects.
- Interact regularly with customer teams during the quoting and prototyping phases of a program.
- Must be extremely organized and highly responsive.
- Able to work closely with cross functional teams internal and external to GMI.
- Interpretation of customer design inputs including concepts, print packages, etc.
- Understanding of testing requirements, regulatory requirements and certifications for each project.
- Review and general understanding of schematics, circuit board level and/or sheet metal enclosure design.
- Responsible for the coordination of solutions to reported customer problems during the design and prototype phase.
- Knowledge of commercial of-the-shelf (COTS) products for use in designs.
- Responsible for coordinating prototyping and small runs of engineering samples.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or an equivalent, and a minimum of five years prior experience preferably in a manufacturing environment. Project/Program Management experience a tremendous benefit.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to read and understand drawings/prints and ability to interpret all specifications.
- Strong communication skills to function effectively with Vendors, co-workers, and customers.
- Must be able to effectively multi-task between several concurrent assignments often with competing deadlines.
- Must be familiar with proper handling of design data (confidentiality, properly filing of design data, etc.).
- Must have a positive, can-do attitude; willing to go the extra mile to successfully complete projects.
- Must be extremely flexible to changing requirements.
- Must have the ability of foresight to alert appropriate individuals of potential problems.
- Must be supportive of continuous improvement within the department and individual processes.
Physical requirements and working conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The phrases “occasionally,” “regularly,” and “frequently” correspond to the following definitions: “Occasionally” means up to 1/3 of working time, “regularly” means between 1/3 and 2/3 of working time, and “frequently” means 2/3 and more working time.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office and lab setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings at various sites within and away from the office. Strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 80 pounds. Vision to read printed materials and a computer screen. Hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Occasionally required to travel domestically and internationally, up to 20%. Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment. This position is factory based, in Mequon, WI.
The Cherries on Top:
GMI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes:
- Compensation with Annual Profit Sharing
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, plus 2 personal days annually
- Generous Employee Referral program
- Corporate sponsored Luncheons and Happy Hours
- Company Events, Competitions and Group Volunteer Opportunities
We’re a medium size, family-oriented company that values our associates and are looking for your help to make a difference to the company’s overall success.
If this sounds interesting, we want to hear from you!
If you have questions, feel free to email us at email@example.com