Senior Launch Engineer
About our environment
- GMI Solutions is a well established contract manufacturer established in 1983
- MūL Technologies is a robotic automation company
- Team and family oriented philosophy throughout
- Plenty of on-site amenities and special events
The Senior Launch Engineer is a pivotal role that involves spearheading the successful launch of new business opportunities. By collaborating closely with our Business Development, Technical Project Management, Engineering, and Sourcing teams, this position will be instrumental in driving the organization’s growth through the initiation and execution of bringing new products to manufacturing.
Reporting directly to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager, the Senior Launch Engineer will leverage their expertise and leadership to ensure seamless coordination and execution of projects. This role demands a proactive and strategic mindset, as well as excellent communication skills, to effectively manage cross-functional teams and drive projects from quotation to successful implementation.
The ideal candidate for this position should possess a strong background in engineering and manufacturing processes, as well as a track record of successfully delivering projects on time and within budget. Additionally, the Senior Launch Engineer must demonstrate the ability to identify potential risks and develop mitigation plans to ensure a smooth and efficient launch process.
Overall, this challenging yet rewarding role offers a unique opportunity for an experienced professional to make a significant impact on the organization’s growth and success, while fostering collaboration and innovation across various departments.
Essentials Duties and Responsibilities:
This role involves extensive customer interaction throughout the entire project lifecycle, starting from the initial introduction, system design, and handoff from prototypes to production.
As the responsible individual, you will be tasked with evaluating the technical aspects of new programs and providing viable input and recommendations on material selection, manufacturing processes, components, production, testing, regulatory compliance, and other outsourcing requirements for our customers. Additionally, you will take charge of leading and driving the quotation process for each project, leveraging resources from Manufacturing Engineering and Sourcing to support your efforts.
Collaboration with the Business Development and Technical Project Manager teams will be a key aspect of your role, as you will be required to present material recommendations, manufacturing processes, and services to key decision-makers and C-level executives, often at some of the world’s most recognizable companies. Travel will be necessary for engaging in new customer introductions and fostering ongoing relationships with key technical contacts.
- Serve as the primary technical lead on programs, guiding them from initial customer engagement through production release.
- Lead the setup and execution of quoting activities for new projects.
- Regularly interact with customer teams during the quoting and prototyping phases of programs.
- Maintain a high level of organization and responsiveness in all aspects of the role.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams both within GMI and external partners.
- Interpret customer design inputs, including concepts and print packages.
- Ensure understanding of testing requirements, regulatory compliance, and certifications for each project.
- Review and grasp schematics, circuit board level, and/or sheet metal enclosure designs.
- Possess knowledge of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) products for use in designs.
- Lead, define, and implement design for manufacturing principles for future product initiatives.
- Define and implement critical quality controls through risk reduction (PFMEA) and verification (SPC and MSA) before new product launch.
- Create comprehensive plans for manufacturing new products, including bills of material, kitting, and product fixtures with data-driven decision support.
- Find the best solutions to meet design specifications while ensuring smooth execution in manufacturing.
- Communicate system design requirements to manufacturing through clearly written and well-visualized work instructions.
- Ensure product and process designs promote a safe launch with a secure working environment, high-quality output, on-time delivery, and long-term sustainability.
- Coordinate prototyping and small runs of engineering samples.
- Stay updated on the latest manufacturing technologies.
- Utilize data analytics for decision-making and process optimization.
Please note that this list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive and may be subject to expansion as deemed necessary by management to meet the evolving needs of the organization.
To be successful in this role, the individual must be capable of performing each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements represent the necessary knowledge, skill, and abilities for the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to fulfill the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, Manufacturing Engineering, or a related field of study is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Additional pertinent certifications are preferred.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required
- Proficient in reading and interpreting accurate specifications from drawings/prints.
- Strong communication skills for effective interactions with Vendors, co-workers, and customers.
- Excellent multitasking ability with a positive and proactive attitude for project success.
- Highly adaptable to changing requirements and proactive in problem-solving.
- Demonstrates leadership, project management skills, and exceptional organizational capabilities.
- Proficient in MS Office, especially Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for professional interactions.
- Willingness to provide assistance to other engineering projects and departments as needed.
- Open to learning and developing new competencies for personal and organizational growth.
- Experience in developing procedures, build instructions, rework instructions, and process and/or software validations preferred, with an understanding of reading drawings, prints, and BOMs.
- Willingness to occasionally travel domestically and internationally, as required.
Physical requirements and working conditions
The physical demands outlined below are representative of those necessary for an associate to effectively perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to fulfill these essential functions. The terms “occasionally,” “regularly,” and “frequently” correspond to the following definitions: “Occasionally” refers to up to 1/3 of working time, “regularly” indicates between 1/3 and 2/3 of working time, and “frequently” represents 2/3 and more of working time.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office and lab setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings at various sites within and away from the office. Strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 80 pounds. Vision to read printed materials and a computer screen. Hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, this position is factory based, in Mequon, WI.
The Cherries on Top:
GMI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes:
- Compensation with Annual Profit Sharing
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, plus 2 personal days annually
- Generous Employee Referral program
- Corporate sponsored Luncheons and Happy Hours
- Company Events, Competitions and Group Volunteer Opportunities
We’re a medium size, family-oriented company that values our associates and are looking for your help to make a difference to the company’s overall success.
If this sounds interesting, we want to hear from you!
If you have questions, feel free to email us at email@example.com